Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an extremely poisonous gas that can be present in the fumes from the combustion of fuel’s which aren’t burnt under the correct conditions. Fuels such as gas, oil, solid mineral fuel and biomass all have the potential to emit CO. The gas cannot be seen, smelled or tasted making it difficult to detect.
Protect yourself from CO
- Have your appliance serviced and cleaned regularly by a HETAS Registered Installer.
- Ensure your chimney is kept clear by having it swept at frequent intervals
- Use quality fuel in your solid fuel/wood burning appliance.
- Make sure the installation complies with Building Regulations guidance. The guidance is there to protect you.
- Fit an audible CO alarm conforming to BS EN 50291 and positioned in accordance with Building Regulations Approved Document J.
CO alarms should be regularly tested in accordance with the manufacturers instructions and should not be regarded as a substitute for regular maintenance of both the appliance and chimney.
Click the link to see a consumer Co2 advice leaflet provided by HETAS: